The Internet Connection Sharing (SharedAccess) service provides network address translation, addressing, name resolution, and intrusion prevention services for a home network or small office network.
This service is installed by default and its startup type is Disabled. When the Internet Connection Sharing service is started in its default configuration, it logs on by using the Local System account.
The Internet Connection Sharing service is dependent upon the following system components:
- Base Filtering Engine
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
- DCOM Server Process Launcher
- RPC Endpoint Mapper
- Network Connections
- Network Store Interface Service
- NSI proxy service drive
- Remote Access Connection Manager
- Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service
- Plug and Play
- Windows Management Instrumentation