The HomeGroup Provider service performs networking tasks that are associated with configuring and maintaining homegroups. If this service is stopped or disabled, the computer will be unable to detect other homegroups, and the homegroup might not work properly. It is recommended that this service be running if the computer is part of a homegroup.
This service is installed by default and its startup type is Manual. When the HomeGroup Provider service is started in its default configuration, it logs on by using the Local Service account.
The HomeGroup Provider service is dependent on the following system components:
- Function Discovery Provider Host
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
- DCOM Server Process Launcher
- RPC Endpoint Mapper
- Function Discovery Resource Publication
- Network List Service
- Network Location Awareness
- Network Store Interface Service
- NSI proxy service driver
- TCP/IP Protocol Driver